Midwifery Today Issue Number 103 (Autumn 2012) Shoulder Dystocia - PDF from Lulu|
Practicing Midwives, Back Issues
Quantity in Basket:
Important: This back issue of Midwifery Today is only available as a PDF from Lulu.com and cannot be ordered from our store. Please click here to order Midwifery Today Issue 103 on Shoulder Dystocia.
This issue of Midwifery Today will benefit many childbirth professionals by providing knowledge and insights into shoulder dystocia. Among the wonderful contributors to this issue is Ina May Gaskin; in her article she retells the story of how she came to learn a simple skill that is now known as the Gaskin Maneuver. Gail Tully, another shoulder dystocia expert, has provided not one, but two articles to this issue, both of which will be valuable sources of reference for many of you.
- FlipFLOP: Four Steps to Remember by Gail Tully
An expert in this area of birth, Gail Tully offers a step-by-step guide, which is creatively organized in a mnemonic for memory retention, for resolving shoulder dystocia.
- How Being a Homebirth Midwife Enabled Me to Learn about Shoulder Dystocia by Ina May Gaskin
Ina May shares the history behind the Gaskin Maneuver and how her non-traditional midwifery training allowed her to be introduced to skills she wouldn’t have received otherwise.
- Preventing Shoulder Dystocia by Michel Odent
French pediatrician and natural childbirth advocate Michel Odent shares his thoughts on the basic needs of a laboring woman and how if these needs were better understood, many shoulder dystocias would be prevented.
- Stressful! Birth in a Hospital by Nancy Halseide
Managing editor for Midwifery Today, Nancy Halseide, tells the story of her first experience acting as a doula and of the stress involved in trying to help a mom have a drug-free labor and birth in a hospital setting.
- Monique Dembele: A Midwife of Mali by Jane Beal
Author Jane Beal recounts the life of Monique Dembele, a remarkable midwife who did much in her life to better her community with regards to childbearing.
- Arm Behind the Back: A Shoulder Dystocia Complication by Gail Tully
Gail Tully offers insight into shoulder dystocia complications by informing on how important it is to look for the placement of the arm.
- Sharks and VBACs: The Fears of a Father by Tony Whitman
A VBAC dad shares his thoughts on fears surrounding birth from a husband’s perspective.
- The Power of Natural Progesterone: Treating Hormone-Related Postpartum Depression by Shannon K. Valenzuela
This article will prove to be a goldmine for many sufferers of postpartum depression who have wanted an alternative to anti-depressants.
- Capable Hands and Calm Eyes: My Sixty Seconds of Shoulder Dystocia by Mary Ann Lieser
A wonderfully written birth story by a woman who experienced shoulder dystocia during the birth of her child.
- Management of True Shoulder Dystocia at Attended Homebirth by Judy Slome Cohain
“At attended homebirth, shoulder dystocia poses less of a challenge and has better outcomes compared to hospital birth.”
- Euphoric Birth by Brianna Z. Kauer
A mother shares the story of her third child’s birth—an event that expressed her “earnest desires, personality and beliefs.”
- The Ecology of Childbirth by Alese Colehour
Author and university student Alese Colehour gives an insightful look into the world of microorganisms and how details of a birth can greatly affect this environment in a newborn.
- Down the Rabbit Hole: A Case Against Routine Ultrasound by Elaine Alkhas
After an ultrasound, author and then expectant mother, Elaine Alkhas, received unsettling news about the health of her baby. She offers a story worth considering regarding the anxieties such news brings, only to find out that the results were wrong (as is so often the case).
- Pregnancy and Yoga by Kiran Bala
An informative article detailing the benefits of yoga during pregnancy and thoughts to consider in order to make yoga safe for the expectant mom.
- Midwives and Fear by Alison Bastien
Midwives and doulas may find that they relate to the ideas expressed in this story. Fear is a normal aspect of life, but it is important to know how to handle fear when you have responsibilities during a birth.
- God Answers a Midwife’s Prayer by Gina Dacosta
Midwifery Today’s Jan Tritten helped midwife Dacosta with a VBAC during her time in Puerto Rico. This is Dacosta’s account of this wonderfully successful birth that wasn’t lacking in miracles.
- LifeWraps: Low-tech First Aid for Obstetric Hemorrhage by Caroline Rodgers
“An American midwife has adapted a piece of first aid equipment with a history spanning more than a century to save the lives of mothers facing the most serious of complications: obstetric hemorrhage.”
- Memoir of a Sweet Granny by Soma Mukhopadhyay
In this beautiful story of a beautiful lady, author Mukhopadhyay pays a tribute to the life of her grandmother, a nurturer of women.
- A Surprise Outcome at Mother Health International by Tammi McKinley
A midwife tells of her refreshing time working at Soley Lavi, Mother Health International’s birth clinic in Haiti.
View complete Table of Contents here.
Shoulder Dystocia Handbook, 2nd Edition
Shoulder Dystocia and Malpresentations (4-CD Audio Set)