Like what’s available here? Get more in your postal mailbox 4 times a year!
Subscribe to Midwifery Today—the print magazine!
Articles most recently posted from Midwifery Today magazine
- Midwifery Care for the VBAC Woman - by Gloria Lemay
Someone asked me what things are done differently with vaginal births after cesarean (VBAC) as opposed to a first baby. Midwives usually reply to this question with a reassuring, Oh, we treat you normally, but there are differences in the two situations that can be distinguished in midwifery practice.
- Foreskins for Keeps—An Idea Whose Time Has Come - by Gloria Lemay
Contributing Editor Gloria Lemay tells about her path to ending circumcision by January 2008.
- Tableau impressionniste de la conférence internationale de sages-femmes, Paris 2001
Article in French. Midwifery Today conference, Paris 2001.
- Suspect Diagnoses Come with Biophysical Profiling - by Gloria Lemay
Many North American women are being told at the very end of their pregnancies to go to an ultrasound clinic and have a biophysical profile done. They will probably not be told that there is no scientific basis for having faith in the test results...
- Midwife’s Guide to an Intact Perineum - by Gloria Lemay
An intact perineum is the goal of every birthing woman. We love to have whole, healthy female genitalia. Many people consider the health of the vagina/perineum to be a matter of chance, luck or being at the mercy of the circumstances of the forces that prevail at the time of the birth.
- Seven Tips for Creating a Calm, Joyous Homebirth - by Gloria Lemay
As more women turn to homebirth they need to know what to ask potential providers before becoming a client. The tips from midwifery activist Gloria Lemay can be used by midwives to compare to their practices, and by pregnant moms to guide their choice in or assess the care provided by a midwife.
- Pelvises I Have Known and Loved - by Gloria Lemay
What if there were no pelvis? What if it were as insignificant to how a child is born as how big the nose is on the mother's face? After twenty years of watching birth, this is what I have come to.
- Las pelvis que conocí y amé - by Gloria Lemay
¿Que pasaría si no hubiera pelvis? ¿Y que tal si la pelvis tuviera tan poco que ver con como nace un niño como el tamaño de la nariz de la madre? Después de más de 20 años atendiendo partos estas son las conclusiones a las que he llegado.
- El Pujo en las Primerizas - by Gloria Lemay
La expulsión del primer bebé de la mujer es un espacio en tiempo pora que ocurran muchas travesuras y averías. Es además un espacio en tiempo cuando su futuro obstetrico frecuentemente es decido, y dónde ella puede ser bien atendida por una partera paciente y descansada.
- Pushing for First-Time Moms - by Gloria Lemay
The expulsion of a first baby from a woman's body is a space in time for much mischief and mishap to occur.
- La poussee pour les meres primipares - by Gloria Lemay
Article in French. L'expulsion d'un premier bebe du corps d'une femme est un moment critique ou plusieurs torts et contretemps peuvent survenir.
- Premature Ligation of the Umbilical Cord - by Patricia Edmonds
A wonderful article about the umbilical cord and reasons why it should not be cut prematurely.
- In Memory of Marsden Wagner, A Friend to Midwives, 1930–2014
The world lost a treasure earlier this year, but his passion and kindness will forever remain in our hearts. This tribute contains memories, stories and thoughts about Marsden from some of his midwife friends.
- VBAC and Choice: Many Questions and a Few Answers - by Nancy Wainer
When I agreed to have a cesarean, was I really making a choice? First of all, I, the chooser, was not truly informed; second, my doctor lied to me. Third, my insurance company limited my choices in many ways.