Midwifery Today Conference
“Honoring Our Past, Embracing Our Future”
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania • April 6–10, 2016
Read about the theme of this conference in a letter from Jan Tritten: [ View or hide the letter ]
Please join us at our conference in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Our theme, “Honoring Our Past, Embracing Our Future,” is one that is important to us all. We have an amazing legacy of midwives that spans all the way back to Biblical times, and even further back in time. As midwives, we have always been “with woman.” Our recent past includes granny midwives like Gladys Milton, who worked so hard in the South bringing forth babies and reigniting the midwifery flame in the 1970s. We have a beautiful and rich past from our indigenous sisters and brothers to the present. It is always Midwifery Today’s intent to remember these people with gratitude and respect.
The world will always need midwives, but we may have to fight for our right to practice. The good news is that new research on the importance of the microbiome bears witness to what midwives have always known: How we are born matters! Our doula sisters have expanded women’s care in recent decades, and so we welcome you, too! We plan to touch on all of these issues and more in our conference, and we welcome you to be part of this historic event.
Learn from These Inspiring Speakers!
Please click linked names to view speaker biographies.
Attend These Exciting and Informative Classes!
These are some of the topics we plan to present at the conference. Please see the conference program for the complete list of classes.
- Midwifery Issues and Skills (full-day class)
- Releasing the Pelvis with Elaine Stillerman (full-day class)
- Breech Day (full-day class)
- Physiological Transition: Neonatal Resuscitation Program with Mitchell J. Kresch
- Amish and Mennonite Midwifery with Mary Cooper and Diane Goslin
- Birth and the Future of Humanity with Fernando Molina and Michel Odent
- Resolving Shoulder Dystocia with Gail Hart
- Birth Your Dreams: The Path to Creating and Marketing Your Practice with Debra Pascali-Bonaro
- Acupressure and Cupping for Birth Practitioners with Tine Greve
Continuing Education Units: ACNM and MEAC specialty credits will be applied for. CEU fees are indicated on the conference registration form.
Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey
23 South Second St.
Harrisburg, PA 17101
The Venue: The conference will be held at the Crowne Plaza in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The hotel is located in the city’s center along the banks of the Susquehanna River, within a convergence of historic architecture and modern buildings. Harrisburg is the capital city and the place where business, culture, art and science combine to create a bustling urban oasis. Hotel guests receive free high-speed WiFi, access to the business center, indoor pool, fitness center and access to a variety of downtown activities.
Overnight Accommodations at the Crowne Plaza
Hotel Price: Attendees who book their room by March 23, 2016, are eligible for discounted guest room rates of $99 per night for singles and $119 for doubles. All rooms are subject to state and local taxes (currently 11%). Discounted rooms may be limited, so book early for best results. Reservations made after the cutoff date are subject to space and rate availability.
Booking: Reservations may be made by calling Crowne Plaza worldwide reservations at +1-877-270-1393 or call the Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey front desk directly at +1-717-234-5021. Be sure to tell them you would like the Midwifery Today conference discount for your dates; the Group Block Code is MID.
Cancellations: Any room cancelled within 24 hours of arrival will be charged one night’s room and tax. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.
Check-in/out Time: Check-in time is 4:00 pm or later. Anyone arriving prior to 4:00 pm will be given a room as it becomes available. Checkout time is 11:00 am.
- Valet parking at the Crowne Plaza hotel for Midwifery Today conference attendees is $9 per day for overnight guests and $18 per day for those not staying at the hotel.
- The Chestnut St. Garage located at 322–326 Chestnut St., Harrisburg, just three blocks (0.2 miles) from the Crowne Plaza hotel. The garage is open 5 am – 11 pm seven days a week, and charges $3 per hour or $20 for 10 hours or less. Other rates are available on their website.
- Metered on-street parking is also available and an app to pay the meter is now online at parkharrisburg.com.
How to reach Harrisburg
From the South (Baltimore)
Take 1-83 North to Harrisburg, PA. Take Exit 43 from I-83 N toward Capitol/2nd St. Take a slight left onto S. 2nd St. Hotel will be on the right.
From the East (Philadelphia)
Take I-76 W toward Harrisburg. Use the right two lanes to take exit 247 for I-283 toward PA-283/Harrisburg/Hershey. Continue onto I-283N. Use the left lane to take exit 3A to merge onto I-83S toward Harrisburg. Take Exit 43 toward Capitol/2nd St. Slight left onto S 2nd St. Hotel will be on the right.
From the West (Pittsburgh)
Take I-76 E toward Harrisburg. Take Exit 236 toward U.S. 15 N/Harrisburg. Keep left and merge onto US-15N. Take the exit onto PA-581 E toward I-83/Harrisburg/Hershey. Keep left to continue on Capitol Beltway/Harrisburg Expy. Continue onto I-83 N/Capitol Beltway. Take Exit 43 toward Capitol/2nd St. Slight left onto S. 2nd St. Hotel will be on the right.
From the North (Scranton, PA/New York State)
I-81 S. toward Harrisburg. Use left two lanes to take Exit 70 for U.S. 322 E/I-83 S toward South Harrisburg/York. Merge onto I-83 S/US-322 E. Keep right at the fork to stay on I-83 S, follow signs for Interstate 83 S/Harrisburg/York. Take Exit 43 toward Capitol/2nd St. Slight left onto S. 2nd St. Hotel will be on the right.
Harrisburg International Airport—www.flyhia.com
Airport Code: MDT
Airlines include Air Canada, Allegiant, American, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines.
Station Building (Station Code HAR)
4th and Chestnut Streets
Harrisburg, PA 17101
The Amtrak station is four blocks from the Crowne Plaza Hotel. You may walk, take the Route 1 downtown (Market Street) bus, or hire a taxi.
MEAC: All classes have been approved except for Roundtables, which are still in review.
ACNM: Sixteen classes have been approved and at least twenty are still in review. Please contact the conference coordinator for a complete list.
Read what others have experienced at Midwifery Today Conferences
“The most amazing, soul-filling, heart-bursting, loving conference. I am filled to the brim.”
“This conference affirmed my path and helped to give me the confidence to walk down it. Thank you!”
“Quality for my time and energy away from family. Worth the money to come.”
– Attendees at the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, 2012 Conference
- Subscribe to the Conference E-mail List. Stay up to date with the latest news about Midwifery Today Conferences. Receive occasional announcements about new conferences, information on discounts, and reminders for registration deadlines. Sent out approximately once a month.
- View scrapbooks of conferences in Pennsylvania in 2008 and 2006, and of our conference in Eugene 2013.
- Keep up to date with conference news on Facebook.
- To receive a printed program by mail, please e-mail us with your request.
- Attend other Midwifery Today Conferences around the world!
- Children at the Conference: Mothers may sit with babes in arms in the classrooms. However, out of respect for others, and because we are recording some of the classes, if a baby makes any noise, we must ask mother and baby to leave the room. Attendees must make their own arrangements for childcare.
- View updates to the program