Information for Parents for the Childbearing Year
Information and Products
[photo by Jennifer Rosenberg]
“Kangaroo Care” with sling
From pre-conception to the first birthday, we want to help parents and parents-to-be learn how to have a healthy, happy baby and mother! Having a Baby Today Associate Editor Jill Cohen shares one of her birth experiences with us:
“Having recently given birth, I am awash with love and devotion to my newborn. Arlo was born May 7, 2002, after many bubbles had been burst regarding normal and natural birth. Even though we transported from home to hospital and I used pitocin, which was incredibly painful, I was still able to enjoy the moment of birth when I reached out to receive my son. It was a great moment. Of course, the problems did not end there….”
[ READ FULL ARTICLE : “A Perfect Birth” by Jill Cohen]
- Having a Baby Today newsletter (back issues only)
- audio tapes
- T-shirts, jewelry and other birth art
You may also want to subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine.
Articles for Parents
Read articles from Having a Baby Today newsletter and other Midwifery Today, Inc., publications.
- Cuddle Up! Slings and Baby Carriers—by Jennifer Rosenberg, CD (DONA)
This article discusses the advantages and disadvantages of each kind of carrier, ways of making your own baby carrier, and reviews of specific brands of “ready made” carriers.
- 6 Keys to Preventing Complications and Giving Birth to a Healthy Baby—by Marci O’Daffer, CCE, Doula
- The Prenatal Water Workout—by Jill Cohen
- Straight from the Heart of Mothering—by Robin Lim
- A Father’s Point of View—by Anthony Wilson
Fathers play a vital role in pregnancy and birth. See this miracle from their point of view.
- A Note to Fathers: It’s You She Wants—by Lois Wilson
Explore These Topics
- Homebirth—Research has consistently found homebirth to be every bit as safe as, and in some cases safer than, hospital birth.
- Waterbirth—Learn about this gentle form of birth.
- Nutrition in the Childbearing Year—Good nutrition is the best way to prevent complications.
- Breastfeeding—Articles, reviews and resources in Midwifery Today Issue 101
- Mothers—Read “Pushing for First-Time Moms” by Gloria Lemay.
- Fathers—Fathers at birth, fathers’ memories, artwork, and more.
- Drugs in Labor—Learn about the dangers of drugs and other interventions during labor.
- Loss/Stillbirth—Despite the conscious efforts of parents and care providers, some healthy pregnancies don’t turn out the way we expect they will.