Birth & Midwifery in Denmark
Resources for parents and practitioners
Connect with many more midwives and birth enthusiasts from around the world by joining IAM, the International Alliance of Midwives!
Some of the following sites may not be in English; an online translator may be useful.
Midwifery Today Country Contact*
*To learn what a Country Contact is or to reach any Midwifery Today Country Contact, click here.
As a direct entry midwife, Marlene Gryesten began practicing in California in 1993, following an apprenticeship in Humboldt, and in Denmark since 2000. She is now practising as a "known midwife," paid and supported by the government, servicing 120 women a year. Women are offered their choice of setting, at their home, at a freestanding clinic or at the local university hospital. Over 50 midwives share call with equal time off, serving as many as 3600 birthing women a year. They wish to establish this as a common standard of practice in our midwifery center.
"As a TCM acupuncturist, I supervise my collegues on the labor ward, making sure they stay inspired to use acupuncture as a first choice when they have diagnosed need for augmentation, pain control, stuck placentas or such. In my private practise I offer yogatherapi, acupuncture and birth prep classes. For fun I continue to teach prenatal yoga, share information on how to keep birth sacred, do an occasional belly cast, or find other ways to love up pregnant women."
- Jordemoderhuset—a private owned midwifery clinic, located in the centre of Copenhagen
- Den Almindelige Danske Jordemoderforening
- www.hjemmefoedsler.dk—homebirth choice in Region Sjaelland
- www.jordemodernordjylland.dk—Midwifery center in northern jutland
- www.FOGF.dk—Promoting sane birth and birthchoices; offering information on many aspects of parenting
- www.jord.cvuoeresund.dk—Midwifery school
- www.jordemoderuddannelsen.dk—Midwifery school
- www.foedselscoach.dk—Doula training and services
- www.gaia-instituttet.dk—Women-centered information
- www.trillium.dk—Pre- and postnatal training
Offering holistic training for the new family in a woman-friendly center run by a midwife/physicaltherapist/pshychologist
- www.familieskolen.dk—Pre- and postnatal training