International Midwifery Is Alive!
Become involved through these Midwifery Today paths:
Attend a Midwifery Today International Conference
Midwifery Today conferences are designed to revitalize your midwifery soul. The emphasis is on sharing what we have learned in our practices, bringing together knowledge and techniques from around the world. Keys to understanding and aiding the birth process can be found all over this globe in its many marvelous cultures. Midwifery Today international conferences provide a joyous opportunity to meet midwives with different perspectives. As we discover our shared dedication to serving motherbaby, we are renewed. We are not alone in our efforts to solve problems, whether they involve individual births or the huge political, social and health issues that have arisen with the medicalization of childbirth. By learning from midwives from around the world, we may find our own solutions.
Participate in the International Alliance of Midwives
The world needs a birth renaissance and you can help! If you care about birth change and international midwifery you’ll want to see the possibilities offered by the International Alliance of Midwives. Let’s work together to make the world a better place for birth!
In some Spanish-speaking countries, the word for light is part of the phrasing used in labor and birth terminology. The phrase for labor is "sacar a la luz," to bring to the light. "Dar a luz" is the phrase that means "to give birth." Now is the time for us as midwives and childbirth activists to bring the whole family-centered birth movement "a la luz"—to the light. Help bring childbearing out of these most recent "dark ages" and into the light.
Browse the Midwifery Today Country Pages
- Want to learn more about birth and midwifery in another country?
- Are you trying to find a midwife in another country?
Click on country name or flag in the list on the right, and you’ll be on your way to a wealth of knowledge about birth in many places around the globe!
Country Contacts: Midwifery Today is interested in promoting international networking among childbirth practitioners. Our goal is to strengthen the international community by establishing a country contacts in every country of the world. Learn more about Country Contacts.
Read Midwifery Today International Articles
Midwifery Today can help you understand international birth and midwifery issues. We have been dedicated to global birth issues since our first magazine in 1986. Through Midwifery Today you have access to a wealth of information.
- Subscribe to Midwifery Today—We have over 10 pages of each issue dedicated to international midwifery.
- Read back issues of Midwifery Today—Since issue number 40 we have dedicated an average of 15 or more pages to global issues. Four issues have been dedicated to a global midwifery theme.
- We also have back issues of the publication International Midwife. Formerly a separate magazine, it is now incorporated into Midwifery Today.
- Read these special articles online. The world has become a global village. With this freedom to share information comes the ability to travel and relocate. When midwives move from one country to another, they should, with equivalent education and credentials, be able to practice their profession wherever they live.
- The International MotherBaby Childbirth Initiative: A Human Rights Approach to Optimal Maternity Care
- A Hidden Tragedy: Birth as a Human Rights Issue in Developing Countries
- 26 Ways to Change Birth Globally
- Anthropological Perspectives on Global Issues in Midwifery
- Homebirth in the UK
- International Credentialing of Midwives
- International Code of Ethics For Midwives
- Global Alliance of Midwives
Read Midwifery Today E-News Articles about International Midwifery
Read these special issues about international midwifery:
- International Edition, February 2, 2011
- International Midwives’ Day 2002
- Happy International Midwives Day! 2001
- International Midwives’ Day 2000
- International Midwifery Code
- International Day of the Midwife 1999
Don’t miss an issue. Subscribe to Midwifery Today E-News today!
Read Articles in French and Spanish
Join our Community Site and participate in the International Forum. Share what is going on in your country, international projects you are working on, wonderful people you have met or trips you have taken. This forum is the place for you to talk about pregnancy, birth and parenting from a practitioner’s and/or parent’s view.
Listen to Audio Tapes from International Conferences
Listen to our audio tapes from over 35 past conferences, many from international conferences or with a focus on global issues.
Enjoy Products with an International Flavor
Shop in the International Midwifery section of our shopping cart. You’ll find Mexican Art Prints, video tapes in Spanish, Midwives of the World art, and more!