Theme: Multiple Births
Pregnancy with twins—or more!—doesn’t mean a woman has to have a hospital birth. Numerous stories by midwives and mothers in Issue 39 tell you why. Henci Goer, author of two books on medical interventions in birth, takes a critical look at ultrasound and finds it coming up seriously short. Molar pregnancy, waterbirth and postpartum streptococcus are some of the other topics this issue covers.
Multiple Birth Articles
- Twin Pregnancy: Exercising Your Options—Judy Edmunds
- Homebirth Twins—Susan Smith, RN, RM
- Twins: A Special Occurrence and Study Outline—Valerie El Halta, CPM
- Hide and Seek Twins—Maria C. Wolford
- Water Twins—Peggy Sawyer
Other Cover Articles
- Birth Stools: In Harmony with Gravity—Susan Smith, RN, RM
Some midwives’ clients love birth stools and chairs.
- Postpartum Streptococcal Toxic Shock—Lewis E. Mehl-Madrona, M.D. and Morgaine Mehl-Madrona
A review of cases of Group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus (GABHS) in postpartum new mothers.
- Ultrasound Imaging: Handle with Care—Henci Goer, CNM
Analysis of the risks as well as benefits to ultrasound imaging.
- Fetus Frightening Room—Sara Liebling, CNM
Can a transport to hospital turn a baby? Surprise!
- The Sacroiliac joint: Major Cause of Backache—Trenna Wicks, PT
Techniques to ease pain from backache in pregnancy.
- Molar Pregnancy: A Case Study and Review—Sharon Glass Jonquil, CNM
Indications, complication and treatment for gestational trophoblastic disease.
- Integrating Water into Maternity Care—Jill Cohen
Notes from the First North American Conference on Nurturing Women: Integrating Water into Maternity Care.
- Varicella and Pregnancy—Sharon Glass Jonquil, CNMCare of pregnant patients exposed to chicken pox.
- Subject Index to Issues 33-36
- Thanks, My Son, for Teaching Me How to Dance—Yvonda L. Hendrick, C.M., LPN, CCE
In Memory of Justin Michael Hendrick.
- Editor’s Page
- Tricks of the Trade
- Marion’s Message – Safe Motherhood: A Long Haul
- Question of the Quarter
- Media Reviews
- Journal Abstracts
- Classified Advertising
- In My Opinion – Protocol Means Diplomacy
- Photo Album