Waterbirth is the theme of our next Midwifery Today issue. Based on the number of submissions we received, waterbirth is a topic many people love. We are pleased to share some wonderful information with you. Michel Odent, Sister MorningStar, and Fernando Molina, all Midwifery Today conference teachers, will be sharing their waterbirth knowledge in this upcoming issue. We also are pleased to offer a placenta article, a powerful VBAC story and an update on birth in South Africa. Plus, this issue features many beautiful waterbirth photos from some of our favorite birth photographers from around the US.
Based on the number of submissions we received, waterbirth is a topic many people love. We are pleased to share some wonderful information with you. Michel Odent, Sister MorningStar and Fernando Molina—all Midwifery Today conference teachers—share their waterbirth knowledge in this issue. We also are pleased to offer a placenta article, a powerful VBAC story and an update on birth in South Africa. Plus, this issue features many beautiful waterbirth photos from some of our favorite birth photographers from around the US.
Cover photo by Leilani Rogers (photosbylei.com)
- From the Editor
Mother of Midwifery Today, Jan Tritten, shares her thoughts and experiences with waterbirth.
- Marion’s Message
A powerful article topic to consider.
- Tricks of the Trade
- Media Reviews
- Classified Advertising
- Photo Album
- The Birthing Pool Test—Michel Odent
French obstetrician Michel Odent has developed an interesting way to assess labor in what he calls “the birthing pool test.”
- Waterbirth Anecdotes from Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela (1996–2013)—Fernando Molina
Midwifery Today conference teacher Fernando Molina shares some of his waterbirth experience from when he assisted births in Venezuela.
- Water: The Elixir of Life—Carol Gautschi
Midwife Carol Gautschi teaches on the importance of water, especially for the pregnant woman.
- As Natural as Water: Waterbirth and Instinctual Birth—Sister MorningStar
Midwife MorningStar shares the beauty of waterbirth in her usual hypnotic and beautiful way. Read this article and learn about birth from one of the greats in modern-day midwifery.
- Fourth Baby Birth Story: Gia Rose—Sarah Sailer
A beautiful homebirth story from Loveland, Colorado.
- Waterbirth at Mountain Midwifery Center—Aubre Tompkins
Aubre Tompkins shares her experience with waterbirth at her birth center in Colorado.
- Seeds, Soil, Homebirth and Permaculture—Diana Paul
Birth activist Diana Paul says the experience of attending a seed fair changed her life. Her article highlights some of the things she learned that weekend.
- What We Learned about Waterbirth from a Case of Legionella—Laurie Fremgen
The Texas Midwifery Board developed waterbirth guidelines after a baby contracted Legionnaires’ disease—a rare and widely unknown illness. They have decided to share those guidelines with the birth community through this important article.
- What a Difference a Little Water Makes—Mary Cooper
Midwife Mary Cooper has a wonderful way of sharing her wisdom with the readers of Midwifery Today. In this article, she highlights waterbirth.
- Overcoming Birthing Failure: My Waterbirth Story—Kyana Miner
A powerful birth story from a Midwifery Today reader.
- The Changing Paradigm of Birth in South Africa—Robyn Sheldon
A South African midwife shares an update on the birth climate in her country.
- Through My Brown Eyes—Pennie Vaione Togiatama-Otto
A New Zealander shares her powerful story of a VBAC.
- Bridget Lee Fuller: Mayflower Myth vs. Historic Midwife—Jane Beal
Another wonderful historic piece about a midwife sister from the past.
- VBAC: Very Beautiful And Courageous—Lynn Baptisti Richards
This one is dedicated to all VBAC mothers!
- Mother Health International’s Mission and Model—Kay Sandberg and Shane Carnahan
This article is a continuation of one from Midwifery Today, Issue 114. This time we will learn about MHI’s birth model.
- To Eat or Not to Eat: A Nuanced Analysis of the Placenta Question—Amy Stenzel
Author Amy Stenzel does a wonderful job discussing the acceptance or abhorrence to the idea of placentophagy.
= Membership Article.